Sunday, June 14, 2009

This picture has roughly seven serves of vegies

It's also badly shot, blurry and not really publishable quality. But in the interests of getting dinner on the table I had to move fast.

I took it because I was pretty proud of myself. I was both the purchaser and chop-master of these health-giving vegetables – I felt like the Rainbow Bright of home cooking.

I then turned these vegies into a tasty and comforting lasagne and proved to myself and the world (who have no doubt been desperate for my verdict on this issue) that vegetables can taste good.

Assuming the lasagne puts out about five pieces, that's a serve and a half of vegetables per piece – plate it up with a side salad and you're up to two and a half. (Vegies that is, not men because then that wouldn't be an enjoyable meal but rather a very unfunny sitcom.)

Health authorities say we should eat '2 &5' every day, the thought of which makes people think they need to abandon the dishes they love for rabbit food.

Well, unless you know a rabbit with thumbs and a pyrex lasagne dish, I would say my vegetable dish was nothing like what a bunny would eat – and a serve of it for dinner, plus leftovers for lunch the next day, is a vegetable high five right there.

(If you're interested the vegies are sweet potato, red capsicum, mushrooms, leek, zucchini and basil. I turn them into lasagne with a store-bought passata, low-fat ricotta and lasagne sheets. It's easy and pretty low-fat as the ricotta makes it creamy and not dry without having to be a cheese fest.)

5 comments:

Minovan present theunibrain: the ill-advised shared blog of Scott Keenan & Carolyn Stewart said...

KEFs don't eat mushrooms. Everybody knows that!

CS

Diet Another Day said...

Further illustrating the brilliance of this lasagne - it even hides vegies you don't normally eat.

Anonymous said...

But you love cheeeeeessssseee fests!

Diet Another Day said...

Yes, but my thighs and waist, sadly, do not.

Lynn said...

Looks wonderful - would you mind sharing your recipe?